Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nightmare Beedrills

Remember what I said about not having many nightmares?  I have weird dreams, and dreams with unpleasant aspects, but no nightmares.  The other night, I had an incredibly unpleasant dream.  It started out nice enough, until I decided to climb a lattice-the kind that has plants growing up it.  Well, I was a good height up when a bee came out.

I'm terrified of bees.  Bugs, kinda icky.  Spiders, whatever.  Bees, run for my life.  When I think of bees, I imagine a Beedrill from Pokemon.  You ever seen those things?  They're TERRIFYING.

That.  That's a normal bee to me.  A nightmarish bee is this thing...but worse.  And there were twenty of the nightmare-Beedrills!  The worst part about dream-bees is that I can't escape the damn things.  A lot of small kids are scared of bees, for stupid reasons.  There're a few that can see reason, and aren't particularly scared of the flying needles of death.  

I wasn't one of them.

But as I left middle school, I started to reason with myself about my chronic fear of bees, and I slowly got over.  By the time I started high school, I could actually stand next to a bee.  Every muscle was screaming at me to run, but I still had some control over myself.  Yea, I kept this fear alive until ninth grade...or for you Europeans...not really sure, but four years away from university.  

Then I went camping.  The act of camping itself isn't necessarily associated with bees, nor was hopping around on a boulder field.  I was jumping around with a few friends, and I was a bit slower than them, being somewhat cautious while they just run around like a goat.  I was on top of a rock about six feet above the other rock that I was going to jump to, and my friends pointed out there was a wasp nest the size of my head underneath another nearby rock.  I, using my brain, decided to jump down VERY QUIETLY and move on quickly so that I don't disturb the bees.  

I succeeded in the first part of my plan very well...then one of the idiots I call my friends (one of the more idiotic ones) screamed.  Apparently (This is what I've heard) bees can't stand the sound of screaming.  So a bunch of bees come swarming out looking, well, like this.
They were buzzing in bee language, but I can translate for you.

"Agh, the noise!  Attack the nearest creature in an attempt to stop the noise!"  Yea, that was me.  Whee...

I covered the distance I would have taken five minutes to cross in a mere thirty seconds.  And I still got three damn bee stings.  

I now run from bees.  

No comments: